(Reuters) – World number one Carlos Alcaraz will begin his season on clay next month at the Argentina Open after withdrawing from the Australian Open with a right foot injury.
The 19-year-old Spaniard will miss the season-opening Grand Slam, which starts in Melbourne on Monday, due to a muscle problem in his right leg.
“I am really looking forward to starting the season in Buenos Aires this year and playing in a historic competition where great champions have won,” the statement said.
“The truth is, I wanted to go to Argentina, I wanted to play there, and I’m looking forward to seeing you soon.”
Alcarez missed the ATP Finals and Davis Cup after suffering an ab strain at last season’s Paris Masters. Last month, he said he was back to near-perfect fitness, but was frustrated when he picked up an injury to his leg during preseason training.
Alcaraz will compete in the Argentina Open Field alongside Diego Schwartzman, Cameron Norrie, Dominic Thiem and Lorenzo Musetti.
Reporting by Angelica Medina, Mexico City, Editing by Pritha Sarkar
Our standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.